Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Baby Plants



Late April 2011

Holy Crap! It's Happened! There are actually plants in the garden. I think David considers that everything is spaced too far apart, but I was pretty firm about it, and I waited until physical labor wore him out to the point where he was complacent. I did not read 20 seed packets and make notes and measurements and actually utilize graph paper for nothing, buster. We shall see how this all pans out.

Although I must admit, it looks pretty sparse at the moment.

Ta-da!

Sha-zam! Check out all that mulch. Something crazy like 15 huge bags of it. TIRED. AGAIN.

Bed #1 - this is probably our sunniest bed, so I planted (counter-clockwise) tomatoes, cantaloupe, watermelon, and our peppers - bell and poblano.

Butterfly garden! Pollinate my stuff, bugs. Get on it.

Bed #3: 4 (why did I do this?) different types of cucumbers on the end closest to us, different carrots and pole beans at the other end.


Bed #2: Starting on end closest to us and going clockwise: zucchini and squash, strawberry plants, blackberry, raspberry, and snap peas.

Bed #4: This one is kind of shady, so I'm not sure what we are going to do with it mid-summer. Right now since it's cool, it is full of different kinds of lettuce. Butterhead, gourmet greens mix, green loose leaf, and something else. Oh yeah! Two different types of spinach, one of which is not actually spinach, but will grow in warm weather. I completely forgot about them, because the spinach was a total fail. It wouldn't even germinate in our indoor grow area in most cases, and when we took the few that did outside, they did absolutely nothing. I am kind of baffled. I think we might have gotten a bad batch of seeds? So dissappointed.


David's herb bed. I stole a big spot for another raspberry bush, but there's also several kinds of mint, oregano, 4 types of basil, chives, lavender, sages, parsley, cilantro....David decked that business out. You can also see we finally replanted that rosemary bush I randomly put in the middle of the lawn when we moved in. It was right where the garden was going, so we had to move it.

David planted tulip bulbs on the end to cap it off and make it pretty, but those eventually got ripped up and we planted more herbs.  We are kind of over bulbs. We went absolutely insane and bought something like 100+ different bulbs in the fall of '10.  Costco is a dangerous place, people.

Naturally, we planted exactly 0 of them over the winter like you're supposed to, but since they were in the garage they were somehow still viable in the early spring when I finally actually put them in the ground. They spouted, were very pretty for a few weeks, then became ugly.  I'm not sure I can put up with ugly for 350 days just for 15 days of pretty.

So! Plants! Oh, how does our garden grow.

No comments: