Sunday, March 23, 2008

A Hawaiian Mythical Creature


TODAY I SAW A NATIVE HAWAIIAN DORK!

Until today, I hadn't realized the extreme shortage of Hawaiian nerds around here. Sure, there are plenty of dorks around - Asians, whiteys - but you never see Hawaiian dorks. I mean never. Maybe it is because there is a huge macho culture out here. You don't see a male Hawaiian without at least one tattoo who can crush a beer can with one hand. Maybe it is because, for the most part, they are predisposed to be large, bulky guys, which is a far cry from the skinny/awkward definition of a dork.

Nevertheless, today as I was riding the bus I saw one - tall, gangly, definitely Hawaiian, clutching his books to his chest as he quickly walked across the park square. It is all in the walk - slightly hunched to avoid attracting attention, staring at the ground, walking quickly to get back into a more comfortable, less public, space - such as in front of his computer. I can say this, because for most of my life I have employed The Walk. We recognize our own. I was excited to see it in a local. What can I say? I'm easily entertained.


No comments: