Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Island 2: Huahine


Our next stop was Huahine, which I would say is a bit off the tourism track. Our hotel was actually in a little cove that you could not get to except by boat. It was only a 5 minute trip to the main town nearby, and we met some interesting people on the ride. Here we spent a fair amount of time playing ping-pong in the rain, a game of sand volleyball on the beach with the hotel folks (they killed us) and at night, I discovered a great game in their cupboards – Le Jeu de Polynesie! I was so excited. I know, I’m sure some of you out there are like, “Board games? On your honeymoon!?” But if you know me, you know I LOVE Monopoly, which this was a blatant rip-off of. So I had a great time, especially the night I convinced David to drink a whole carton of something called Tahiti Drink which is basically fermented random fruit. I definitely won that night. We also spent a fair amount of time kayaking around to deserted beaches and whatnot – one day David decided he wanted to kayak out to the breakers, which are a least a mile out. That picture to the left is one he randomly shot while he was paddling out - he porbably went even furhter than that. So, I parked it on the beach with a book and he set off – it took him so long, I was actually starting to worry that he had been eaten by sharks or something. Thankfully, he wasn’t and he was back in time for us to make it to dinner at the hotel restaurant, which is over the water. I think David spent half the time leaning over the railing to look at all the fish schooling under the underwater lights.


It was quite humorous – I only wish I had my camera to capture the moment for posterity. The town was cute, and we had a good time eating fish sandwiches off a cart for lunch everyday, and just walking around. While we were here we also went horseback riding, which of course was going to happen at some point on our trip. I had a great time, and David learned that it is really hard to canter while wearing a backpack. All in all, Huahine was a great place to chill out and relax, falling asleep each night to the sound of chickens.

No comments: