Saturday, June 04, 2005

Island 3: Bora Bora







When we landed on Bora Bora, we immediately knew this was the tourist spot to be. Everything was done up luxury, starting with this huge two story yacht that picked us up from the airport, and took us to the island our hotel was on. So once again we got around via boat ferry; you can see my new best friend in picture above; she was always at the boat stop on the main island, and we hung out. She was very sweet and I fed her Cheetos, so she loved me too. Our actual resort was amazing - the whole thing was once giant landscaped extravaganza. You hardly even noticed the different bures scattered through it all. Ours was right by the pond and the spa, which was up in the trees to our right. You can see the picture of our bure above, from the back side, where it faced the beach. I can't even describe it really. I haven't ever stayed anywhere like it. They had many things to do to amuse ourselves at night; a really bad DVD library, a game room, and some tennis courts, which we proceeded to play absolutely terrible on. We went on our first scuba dives in French Polynesia here, so it was very exciting. Especially when we almost got eaten by a shark. David still plays it down, but I know what I saw. We were down there, looking at all the pretty fish, yadda yadda, and had been swimming around all kinds of sharks, who could care less. At the end, you have to stop at a certain level to decompress a bit, and as we were hanging there when this shark suddenly charged us. I kid you not, he just changed his mind at the last moment and veered off. David said it wasn't going to do anything, but whatever - I nearly had a heart attack. We did another dive with them later - a bunch of fun French guys - and saw a manta ray, which was amazing. I mean, I have never been so awed in my life - I felt like I was on National Geographic. The sheer size of these things is astounding. I really hope to see one again someday. Other than that, we just hung around, worked on our tans, scoped out the town, and built a sand castle, at my insistence. Also, I was beginning to see a new trend in David - apparently he gets crazy cravings for Coca-Cola when he is on vacation. At one dinner we ended up spending $15 on a single coke. I think in the end we might have spent $100 just on coke fixes. But what is vacation for than some pampering? So ended our time at Bora Bora - it really was the most picturesque of them all.

No comments: