Thursday, November 22, 2007

How The Girls Cooked Thanksgiving


My first thanksgiving On My Own.

I did all kinds of crazy things to that turkey in an attempt to make it not be gross. I left it to brine for 2 days, made a special broth for it to cook in, and made herb butter that I spread underneath the skin to make sure the breast meat was juicy. I’m not sure what else I could do to that thing; but did look good once I finished. I was all kinds of proud. It tasted ok – everyone said it was great, but they had to or else they weren’t getting any.

There's a reason we keep sharp objects away from Courtney.

Court and I worked real hard – it was fun cooking with her, even though she was kinda forced into the whole thing. I think she had a good time too – Court can cook, she just usually feels like she has something better to do. Here was our spread:

• Turkey
• Gravy
• Stuffing
• Mashed Potatoes
• Sweet Potato Casserole – (which you should all be begging me for, apparently, bc it was gone in like 5 seconds).
• Green Bean Casserole
• Asparagus
• Cranberry Sauce
• Rolls
• Dyer Jell-O Thing
• Apple Pie
• Pumpkin Pie

Now, that is a lot of food for 4 people, even though one of those people was Paul. This Thanksgiving also marked My First Pie Ever. Which surprised some, as I am baker lady, but I just don’t get excited about pies. Pour some stuff into a crust and put it in the oven. Whoopee.

Still, I had no idea what I was doing so, as you can see, I actually brought my pie over to the computer to figure out how to do that lattice-work thing. Courtney was cracking up, bc the lady in the video would go too fast and spin her pie around and get me all lost, causing me to shriek. Seriously, if you are teaching something, slow down, people. I was about to give up and go pass a store pie off as my own.


In the end, all was well, and we ate until we fell comatose, as was David’s case. Which left me to call the Dyer fam, who were well on their way to having a good time back in Texas. It was good to talk to them, and hearing all the bustle made me have a twang for the big family holiday that we were missing out on.



Then I realized I was hanging out in my shorts a quarter mile from the beach in Hawaii and I laughed at my good fortune. So David and I hung out in the hammock and talked to family while my poor sister finished off the dishes. Thanks, girl!


Speaking of family, shout out to Amber for coming through with the Jell-O recipe so David had a bit of home to comfort himself with this holiday. Thanks, lady!

No comments: