Wednesday, September 09, 2009

House

Welcome to our new house! Again! I really hope to not have to move for a while. I'm kind of over it.

Anyway, welcome to the tour. We really love our new location - it's so close to everything! Also, we are right on the White Rock trail, so it is about as close to outdoorsy as you can get in Dallas. We are happy.


This is the view of our hallway from the living room. The front door is on the right. If you go through the doors straight ahead, you would be in...



Our bedroom. Highly exciting, I'm sure. What rocks about this place is the ginormous closet, which we thought was huge until we re-inherited all our winter clothes, and lined the closet shelves with all the random items we forgot we owned. Suddenly, not so huge. But it all fits, so no complaining.


View from the bedroom out into the living area.

To the right is our bathroom, which has to be the one largest improvement. I am used to bathrooms where you have to stand in the shower to close the door. Literally. So, check this out...


SHAZAM! Yes, those are two sinks. Weirdly, David and I are so used to sharing one, we still use the same sink, and the one on the right is ignored like the ugly stepchild of the bathroom.

However, I am still haunted by a tiny kitchen.

Once you go down the hall, it opens up into a large dining/kitchen/living space.


When we were looking at the place, the kitchen seemed so cute and doable. Sadly, about 1/3 of all our possessions are kitchen items. At least it seems that way when we were unloading the trailer and every other box had 'kitchen' written on it.


Anyway, I stood in the kitchen and looked at my lack of cabinet space, and I was like, ''Where the heck am I going to put my glasses and dishes!?" Forget pots and pans and every other implement I own. All I have is one super-skinny cabinet, and the one over the microwave. You know, the cabinet you usually ignore and throw random stuff in? I swear, one of these days, I will have a house that is 1/2 kitchen.

Luckily, there is a huge closet in the hallway, so meet our solution:



Coat closet = kitchen pantry. Whatever, it works.

To the left of the kitchen is our dining room, home of our ginormous plumeria, which nearly killed me to transport from my mom's to our house, AH-LONE. David was at work. Lucky bastard. That was the last time I try to move that thing by myself ever again. There may or may not have been some frustrated crying at some point. We live on the second floor, and tree + giant pot + recent rainstorm = ridiculously heavy.



Entrance into the kitchen

One of the things we love about this place is all the great windows and natural light. As an added bonus, we look out onto two park areas. So it is all very green and nice.



Porch shot

Lily absolutely loves this feature. We are basically right at tree level, and there are a multitude of squirrels to taunt her. For the first few weeks we just put her bed by the window, because that is where she lived.
Moving on to the living room, which makes up most of our square footage:

A fireplace! You cannot imagine how excited I am about this.



Here's a shot of the kitchen area:


You might be thinking, is that a ladder? What is that tiny space over the kitchen!?


Up the ladder! Don't slip!
It's my office, which is adorable and I love. However, the first thing just about everyone does when they walk in the house and see it is say something to the effect of; Tiffany on a ladder? Seriously? What you thinking? Closely followed by; David, I hope you took out an insurance policy on her.


But I love it. What they really should be doing is marvelling how we got a desk, chair, and all the rest of the stuff up there in the first place.

I'll give you a hint: NOT EASILY.

I was all for building some kind of pulley system, but David didn't think we would get our security deposit back.



When I'm sitting down, I have about 1/2 inch clearance between my head and the ceiling. No tall people allowed.

The view from the loft into the living room

But what really sold me on this place was the fact that there was attic space. AND LOTS OF IT. Thank goodness, because we still weren't sure how much stuff we'd left at Corene's. It's like a large second bedroom, and we filled it up.


Of course, all this junk had to go up the ladder as well. Holy smokes. I'm not sure why I'm showing you this, because I am basically just guaranteeing we will have absolutely no help once we move out. Everyone will suddenly remember important dental appointments, or have convenient travel plans to somewhere very far away, such as Nicaragua.

Anyway, so that's our place! In celebration of us coming home, our plumeria tree started to flower.


I guess it was worth lugging up those stairs after all.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

We so enjoyed staying with you last weekend in your cute new place!