Wednesday, September 09, 2009

New Modes of Transport

So, we are starting all over, again. We needed some wheels, pronto.

I'm going back to school, and I have to fit in with all the other cool kids, right? So.....

Gangsta-Fab Civic! Love those blacked-out lights with the red painted 'H' and shocks. I'm sure to be all 'dope' with the 'homeys' now.

Besides, I have a tattoo now, I can't be drivin' some lame soccer mom vehicle!

Actually, I got him to remove the black stuff from the lights, because I felt mildly ridiculous jsut while I was test driving it around. What's even funnier is that the previous owner was a high school senior white guy from Southlake who weighed in around 130 lbs, tops. He was about as gangsta as Mr. Rodgers.

Even better, about a month after I bought it I found all these mix CDs with names like 'Morning Rap' and 'Rock Tunes'.

The inside.... Yes, that's a stick shift! I'm rocking the manual transmission, because, again, I have a tattoo and this helps me fill my bad-ass quoitent for the year.

Actually, it took some getting used to. My main base of information on how to drive a stick was from watching Fast & Furious, where they all drive like jackasses. David had to tell me to be more gentle with the clutch.

Actually, I had issues with David in the car. For the first few months, we were a one car family, and I was always picking him up and dropping him off places. I would be fine when he wasn't in the car, but WITHOUT FAIL, 7 out of 10 times that he would get in, I would kill it. It was ridiculous. He told me we would not be getting me a manual again, and I told him I was just too flustered by his boyish good looks to concentrate. Sadly, David is not swayed by flattery.

Eventually, we figured out that our dream of only having one car payment was not going to work. After having only one car for 2 years, we had come to realize that the assumption that you both have to have your own car, because that is just what everyone does, was false. It's amazing what you can do without that you previously thought was a necessity.

However, since I'm up in Denton every day on weird school hours, it just wasn't possible. Get on it, DART Rail! I think by the time they make it up to Denton, my kids would be able to use it.

Anyway, David and I had a very out-of-body conversation, and decided since we are keeping these cars for quite some time, we should get an SUV for our FUTURE CHILDREN and all of their stuff. Ack! It's crazy to think that that period of time is fast approaching for us.

David found a great deal, and we got an 2008 Ford Escape:
I really like it - it's very nice and completely unblemished. As a party bonus, the owner had just renewed her XM radio subscription. So now we get approximately 2,548 channels of some seriously random music and unbelievably ridiculous talk radio. It's almost too much. But, we really enjoy the comedy channels. I drove the car for a few weeks before school started and got addicted.

David, however, has become a bit paranoid. This is his first American-made car, and he is certain it is going to blow up at any moment. We might have to sell it and buy a CRV or something for his peace of mind.

So those are our wheels, in case any of you have to be on the lookout for us in vehicle form.

No comments: