Saturday, March 07, 2009

In Which I Resume Outdoor Activites, Far Away From the Highway, not like that wil make a difference - I will find A Way.


I am finally able to move around like a normal person again, so David and I thought we'd start my ankle off on an easy hike, to see what I'm actually capable of. So, after being absolute bums on Sat and sleeping for a good part of the day, we got outside on Sunday, to hike the Pu'u Pia trail.

It's a fairly simple trail, although the footing was not the best. I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised, because the footing is never good anywhere, except Makapuu, and that's because it's paved. Surprisingly, I managed not to fall down.

Anyway, as I was trying to say before I went off on a tangent, the trail basically goes up to the peak (I'm not sure it's big enough to call a peak?) of a mountain(?) that is ringed by a much bigger mountain range, so it's kind of cool. It' s like you're in a bowl, of sorts. It's funny how my perceptions have changed, because I can tell you a few years ago, that I would definitely consider this trail a mountain. Good ol' flat Texas.


Anyway, I just took a bunch of random pics on the trail. It's my new thing - taking lots of bad pictures. You would think it would be easy to take good ones, considering my surroundings. Ha! I can make anything look crappy, SO THERE.



With this new agenda, I spent part of the trip annoying my partners. Most of the pictures will be shots of David's back, and sometime his front when he's realized I am no where around, and he will stop and turn around to try to make sure I'm not lying in a ditch nearby.


Or if he can hear me cursing at my stupid camera, which will not focus and ACTUALLY TAKE A PICTURE in less than 5 minutes. So, that nice frame of David that I originally wanted to shoot is completely lost and turned into David-speck by the time the shutter actually goes off. Grr.

Even my poor dog had enough. Here, she has gone to sleep in the time it took to actually take this picture.


It was a pleasant hike, with plenty of flora and an amazing chorus of birds - I'm not sure I've ever heard anything like it while I've been over here.



The top.


It was raining on us, so it's kind of amazing I didn't slip and fall off this thing.


Here David is being a good sport and posing for me, even though he is getting soaked as a result.



Pretty. I hate that I can't capture the depth of the view.






Lily was on Super High Alert the whole time we were going down, for who knows what reason. It's not like we have ANY small mammals here she could chase. Maybe she was hoping for a chicken.




I thought the fungi growing on this log were cool.








This root kind of looks like a giant hand coming out of the earth


I have an active imagination, okay?!




As we were walking out, I saw this flower - what is this!? I see something new everyday over here.


So that's it. We headed home, and I went and tried to read on the beach, which inevitably turned into a nap. You try staying awake while listening to the waves in the warm sun! It's a hard life out here.

No comments: