Sunday, March 01, 2009

Ponies!

PONIES!! So, I was pining for horses, looking at my forlorn riding boots, and taking deep breaths while in the leather jacket aisle at the mall. After trying (and failing) to find someone who needed some barn help in exchange for riding, my daily friend craigslist surprisingly came to my rescue.

I love craigslist. In addition to selling/buying basically most of my possessions, I also enjoy looking for items that I am not actually in the market to buy. One of the things I look up are the horses for sale in different areas around the US. When I checked in on Hawaii, I noticed a listing for a horse that was for lease. Eureka! I could totally afford to do that! The brain hatched a plan.

My awesome boss agreed to let me work an hour longer a day, and pay me so that I have enough left over after taxes for my riding fees. Sweet!

So, I choose Koko Crater, and have loved riding there. Horses - I'm still addicted.

Although, now I'm addicted and suck. I am kind of self-conscious (when am I ever not) and I was definitely the old lady riding with a bunch of 9 year olds. Ture, I kicked their ass, but still. I am a little off - the brain knows what to do, but the body isn't really responding. I walked around like Popeye for a few weeks. Also, I am tending to lean forward a little, and keep my hands too low - although the instructor assures me this is pretty normal for people coming back to the sport. (YES, IT IS A SPORT. NO SNARKY COMMENTS)

Anyway, so, love it. Corene took some photos of me 'riding' while she was here. Ha.

Actually, the different arenas are kind of terraced up the side of an old volcano crater. It was always awesome to ride and look at the overgrowth spilling out of the cone. I wish I had gotten a picture, although it would definitely lose the scope that makes it so beautiful.




















No comments: