Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies

Let's be honest - you guys can really only read about beaches, hiking, and me somehow twisting my ankle so many times before complete boredom sets in. So, in an attempt to do something different and more entertaining, I've decided to have one food-related adventure week, and post about it. If you are like me, and apparently spend too many nights at home, I hope you try some of them!
I must admit, it will probably be mostly baking-centered, because that's just my thing. I'll try to branch out though. But no promises.
My first foray was into making these cute cake sandwiches - since I was making them for Vday, I originally was going to cut them into hearts...but an extremely messy, 30 minute search through my kitchen did not turn up the cutter, so - circles. Nice. Conviction is overrated.

What I love most about this idea is that it's so easy to do with so many different combos to try. Also, it's easy. Did I mention that? As a party bonus it uses a box mix, so I have a scapegoat in case it all goes south, and thus can keep my pride intact.

So. Combine all the ingredients into a bowl. And mix.

And Mix.

And go reread the directions, because it feels like your arm is about to fall off, and there is no way so little moisture could be used to incorporate all these dry ingredients. I was sure there had to be some kind of mistake. My arm muscles were threatening to cede the union. However, it eventually all does work out, so just hang in there.


look at those perfect little balls of cake. I feel like I should be wearing an apron or something.

I used an ice cream scoop to make sure that they were all uniform and would match up when done baking. That little gem came from an old roomate, Sarah Brundrett, who was Cookie Baker Extraordinaire. Se was always making these perfect chocolate chip cookies, which were just barely baked, and looked delish resting on the paper bags she cooled them on. Most people are surprised when I tell them I cannot bake a good cookie to save my life. I can never tell when that magic moment is when they are done enough to still be soft and not under baked, and so I always over bake a bit. I'm sure David wished that some of her cookie magic would rub off on me, but alas. Sorry dear.

Anyway, use a scoop.
After popping them out of the oven, I had a seriously difficult time not eating one. I may have succumbed to the temptation of their pillowy allure. Let's see you try to resist!

Super simple - after cooled, apply your filling of choice, and revel in your completed product, which is sure to draw admiration from friends and family. The possibilities are endless. German chocolate stuffed with carmel pecans and coconut, vanilla cake with strawberry mousse, Chocolate cake with Bailey's Cream filling. Dipped halfway in chocolate. MMM.

My brain is coming up with these things constantly. The Internet doesn't help either. And people wonder why I just can't stick to a diet. Fat tastes too good. I should just become a baker so I can be plump and it will be acceptable proof of the deliciousness of my goods.

I was feeling all proud of myself until I looked at these and thought, 'Son of a.... I think I just made Oreo Cakesters. Dammit.'
It kind of took the wind out of my sails.
Yet somehow, I still managed to worry them down.

Cake Sandwiches
  • 1 Box cake mix
  • 1/2 Cup butter, softened to room temperature
  • 2 Eggs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix ingredients until combined.
Drop spoonfuls of cookie batter onto baking sheet about two inches apart. Use a 1/2 inch scoop to make the balls - finished cookies will be around 3" wide.
Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Fill when completely cooled.

Makes about 24 cookies or 12 cookie sandwiches


Cream Cheese Filling*

  • 1/2 Cup butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1 8 oz. Package cream cheese, softened to room temperature1
  • 1 lb. Box of confectioner's sugar
  • 1 tsp Vanilla

In a mixer, cream butter, cream cheese and vanilla.
Gradually add sugar and mix until smooth.

*although you can use whatever you'd like instead.

2 comments:

Josh W said...

Daaang! Nice bokeh effect!!! By the way...I want some of those red velvet treats ASAP!

Courtney said...

I am thoroughly impressed with your budding photography skills. I seriously thought those were professional photos you swiped from some website. Nice.