Thursday, August 04, 2011

A Morning Walk

May 2011

A very short drive south of Dallas yields some surprising tranquility at the Trinity River Audubon Center.

One morning David woke me up early on Saturday (what. are. you. thinking.) and I am glad I refrained from strangling him right then and there, because he took me for some much-needed relief from the city.

That said, the Audobon center is amazing. It's built well and very interactive, perfect for some rambunctious kids. Or if you want some solitude, you can wander among several beautiful trails.

Being 5 year olds ourselves, of course we did both, pushing all the buttons on the wildlife sounds exhibits, wandering by the outdoor fossil dig, and walking among the trails.



It is mainly marshland, and you will appreciate the raised trail as you try to spot all the different waterbirds. The picture above has a heron in it, if you squint. I am not skilled in photography. Usually I get over-excited and just start pressing the shutter button in any ol' random direction. Thank goodness for digital cameras. Delete!

Stop! I want to take a picture!


They have a structure with windows at all levels so you can go inside and watch all the birds without scaring them off.

Looking out

After soaking it in, we headed over for some amazing Cory cakes at Legal Grounds - man, I miss that place. If you're ever in Lakewood for breakfast, GO THERE. EAT THEM.

LG, I am open to a lifetime of cory cakes in return for endorsing your product.


If you're in Dallas and like the outdoors, plan a trip to the TRA. It's worth the short drive.

Trinity River Audubon Center
6500 S. Loop 12; Dallas, TX 75217

http://www.trinityriveraudubon.org

214-398-8722


No comments: