Friday, April 10, 2009

Bonjour! Como Estas?

I have a dilemma. I like learning, just not things that are actually useful in getting a job. A good example of this is that I really want to learn French. Why? I live in TX (or will, soon), and Spanish is the smart choice. So I'm confused too. Perhaps there is a small, suppressed part of me that is an uber-snob. It is probably right next to the larger part of me that is reserved for loving Brie. I just can't get into the Spanish culture. I think it is unique and interesting, but I don't like beans, so all cuisine is out. That's probably enough for me to lose interest right there. Also, the French love pastries. It's just no contest.

The problem is my logical side thinks that if I'm going to spend all the time and effort it takes to become fluent in something, I might as well be able to use it more than once every 5 years. On the other hand, I don’t have the real drive required to learn a foreign language when that language is Spanish. There is no passion. I did the whole '4 years of Spanish' in high school, because back then I was apparently more into a productive future than I am now. Would countless jobs open up to me if I knew Spanish? Sure! Is it is smart decision? Of course! Do I really care in the end? Sadly, I don't think so. Poor David. Put your head between your knees and take deep breaths, dear.

Most of us know some Spanish. However, like all languages, if you don’t use it, it fades away. A noun here, a verb there, until you eventually end up sounding like an evil baby. Fo example, in the grocery store: ''Me like the two meats of cow having here.'' Also, properly conjugating is an issue. You would have to start buying two of everything, because there is no way you're going to remember whether to use the feminine or masculine article for everything under the sun. But…loophole! In French, the plural form is the same for everything. So, you can get 2 boxes of waffles to go in your 2 toasters at home without looking like a neanderthal. Nice.

It's only been 9 years (!), and I am already left with vague, random Spanish sentences. ' Go left!' 'I'm going to the bathroom' and 'When I was six, I hated spinach' are all still firmly ensconced in my brain. However, actual helpful things, like, 'I would like one of these' have long since fallen by the wayside.

So I'm at a loss. Should I do what I want, or what is practical? What do you think?

1 comment:

Josh W said...

あなたは日本語を学ぶ方がいい。