Monday, February 06, 2012

Day 4 - Tofino and a Drastic Change in the Weather


DAY 4 -In Which We Finally Get Our Butts Up To Tofino

Or Tiffany Once Again Delays Everyone By Eating Blackberries on the Side of the Road.
If I get cancer in the future, we'll all know where I got it.


Got up and left the Hummingbird House

After a great breakfast.  I think I astounded the B&B guy with how much bacon I ate.
 


View from the front

View of the back, by the hot tub

On the way noth

Court stopped for a pic - I found blackberries

LOTS OF THEM

I shared with my sister

David getting in on the action

Mmmm, delicious

Tofino! Yay!

See that red dot? That is where we were
''Downtown" Tofino. Ha ha!

View out towards the islands - say goodbye to sun and blue skies - we won't see them again for 3 days
 I will take a second to describe where we stayed.  We were at what was basically a really nice hostel at the Botanical Gardens.  It was very granola, people walking around with dreadlocks, no shoes, a general 'I'm close to Mother Earth and you are a mass-consumer poophead" kind of feel, but for the most part they were nice to us.

Front of the lodge
 We all had rooms, but shared a large common room and adjoining kitchen where we could make meals, if we wanted.  It was pretty cute.

Common Room

 We had a large room with a pair of bunk beds and one queen. The boys promptly occupied the bunk beds and proceeded to revert back to 13 year olds.

Punch Fight. Sigh.
 Then they fell asleep.

Waiting for the guys to wake up
We decided to go on a quick hike to make the most of our day - unfortunately I was way to gimpy to attempt the really cool, but grueling, hike and no one wanted to leave me while they went off and did it.  So we rented a water taxi and got them to take us out of one of the many little islands littering the area for jungle hike famous for it's mammoth trees.

At the Taxi

David is, naturally, instantly drawn to staring into the water for sea life




Boating to our island - lots of little ones along the way

More islands - I was intrigues by this floating shack thing.
We made it! We got dropped off, and were officially 4 of the 10 people on the whole island.

We did both trails
I can't help noticing that my face is the same shade of white as my jacket
There are some freakishly large trees

What is happening here!?


Slugs. Ugh. David and Courtney were obsessed with taking pictures of them


David felt pretty Zen and peaceful

Forest? Jungle? Not sure what the correct term is here
More ginormous trees. This will be a theme.

Court

Me and the bebes

Notice how I am at the back and staring with trepidation at the next step. I had to take each stair one at a time for my knee.

Cute boardwalk

Resting

Everything was huge here - these mushrooms were bigger than dinner plates.

Court climbs the root ball of a fallen tree

Paul attempts to pop out at us frequently.  Doesn't look to scary from this angle....
What I was seeing. Ack!

More resting! This was also a theme for me.

We got off-trail a bit, and David decided to act like the black bears and look under rocks for crabs

Ooo, if I were a bear you would so be dinner, crab.


I got lost and separated from everyone

LONELY, I'M SO LONELY.....

We all got back together and found the trail again

Add caption

Pondering the mysteries of life while waiting for the taxi


Headed back

There were plenty of pretty islands to look at, but sadly it had clouded over and never cleared but again.  I bet it is stupid gorgeous when it's sunny

Court was like, " I see a bald eagle!" This was met with much skepticism and squinting.

Holy crap, it actually was one! Even the taxi driver was surprised.
Back at the lodge after dinner, view from the kitchen

We all had alovely relaxing evening, reading through interesting books at the lodge and drinking tea with mint from the gardens.






1 comment:

David D said...

It was a whirlwind trip but Tofino was really pretty. Maybe we can go back in the summer sometime and see it at its height.