Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Vegetable Garden Plan 2012! In Which I Find Free Gardening Programs Online


Ok, so guess who cares about this!? None of you!  But my unorganized self will most DEFINITELY have lost any kind planning materials by this time next year, so they are really safest here.

Also, I don't have the heart to wave this in front of my poor husband's face when he gets home at night these days, bc he is working so hard already, and I have to share this unexpected bout of planning with someone, because I am feeling all responsible and stuff.

SO!! I found so many online vegetable garden planning sites this year. Planting dates, planning software, good times. And after condensing it all down onto a calendar, I'm now going to subject you all to what we will be doing in the garden this year and when we have to do it! I'm sure you'll be thrilled.

This is actually a free (for 30 days) program that lets you design your space and then has EVERYTHING programmed in for just about anything you'd want to plant and automatically spaces it for you specific to the plant's needs.  If you want to play around the website is growveg.com 


This is also from growveg.com - it takes your garden plan and lists the sow and harvest dates of each plant, along with complete info on the plant if you click on it. Love it!

Then, using that web program as well as the plant info sheet from North Haven Gardens, (http://nhg.com/pdf/NTxVegPlanting_spring.pdf - It's super-useful, go check it out) I went ahead and planned out a schedule for our growing season, because, let's face it, sometimes we don't feel like doing something or just plain forget (we kept forgetting to fertilize, last year...oops.)

Hopefully these will help.

Bah, we need to finish building support stuff for the garden. And by we, I mean me, bc I am currently holding the whole thing up with my preferences.
Plant-intensive month
I don't remember spreading things out so much last year - I think we did it all at once.  Of course, that could be because we just waited too long.....If only I had kept a journal last year! It's like starting all over from scratch, bc I have no idea what we did last year.  You can bet I'm keeping track this year.

It's around now that I start having to flit around the garden with a paintbrush and pollinate things. Lazy bugs.
At this point, it should just be harvesting and maintenance.  This month is more for other lawn things, like the grass and fruit trees.

I thought it best to stop there, because who knows what will be happening mid-summer. I'll reconvene then and figure out a game plan for the Fall/Winter.  Last year we didn't know what the heck we were doing and randomly stuck things in the ground.  I didn't realize a lot of those fall/winter plants aren't fully harvested until early summer, usually, and so I have plants growing in areas that I need to be able to sow seeds in a few months.  And I don't want to throw away all that time invested in growing them, so....dilemma.  The carrots, chard, and the onions I didn't plant in the front yard I think I am just going to pull up and tell myself that I am harvesting them early so they will be 'young' and 'tender'.  Ha.

On a side note, even though I don't like to EAT onions, per se, I really like growing them. You just stick those root veggies in the ground. THE END.  No covering, no worrying about foliage.  If they have been attacked by something at least I won't know until I pull them up, and the pain will be short and sweet, like ripping off a band-aid instead of the long, drawn out agony that I go through trying to save my other plants.

Anyway, here's hoping for year 2 of gardening!

No comments: