Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Day 7: Back to the States and Courtney Licks a Living Booger


Day 7

On to (at the butt-crack of dawn) Vancouver.

YET ANOTHER FERRY.  They are starting to lose their charm.

CANADAAAAA
There was much angsting over what to do in Vancouver.  We only had that day, as we had to be in Seattle that night.  The two main contenders were Grouse Mountain and the Capilano Suspension Bridge. It was pretty cloudy, so I thought the whole point of Grouse mountain (i.e. the view) would be pretty pointless, so we decided on....



It was so cute and Canada-clean.

David gets pretty happy just staring at fish

Look at that smile
Misty afternoon!


Court, posing herself, for once.

This extremely long bridge stretches out over a steep valley and river.


THAT IS A LONG BRIDGE

DANG

I like how we are all crowding together for this pic, even though there is no one around us

Overlooking the bridge


The bridge sways ponderously from side to side when you walk across it - I think Paul got a bit seasick


me and the bebes

On the other side, there is a nature-explorer like area

Measure your wingspan!

Court and I were trying to make bird faces

Then David showed up and put us all to shame
Do you see this?! Hilarious.
Sweet smile

We saw one of the ranger people giving a tour, so we listened in to learn....and found out that people used to lick all these slugs we've been seeing everywhere.

This is David's 'mischievous' face.  Something unpleasant is about to happen to someone.

But it looks like that someone is doing it voluntarily. Courtney decided she was going to lick a slug.  To my forever shame, the only record of this happening are my blurry pictures.

Slug presentation

Hello Mr. Slug
The Lick

GROSS.  Those asian people in the background thought we were CRAZY.

Hmm...

I CAN'T FEEL MY TONGUE!

High on snail slime, Court and I ascend into the trees, which are massive and have suspended walkways btwn them.


We found this great old-timey Explorer of Kids station. We learned you get a shiny badge if you complete it. Challenge Accepted.

Also, the ranger at the time was a young guys, so that helped.  He was probably just glad to talk to someone over the age of 6 for once.
The Quest!!

Tree top map

These are our 'explorer' pose. Get used to it, it becomes a theme.

Add caption

We found the different kinds of squirrels

Pondering answers at the weather station

Still excited about it

If you were a tree, how old would you be, based on your height?
We finished and went to turn in our worksheet, to find the young guy had been replaced by a nice girl.  Who obviously thought we were crazy.  Or mentally retarded.

PROUD OF OUR BADGES

Going for a walk on the boardwalk with the rest of the adults. Also, at this point I had lost my husband somewhere.

Court, proving our need to produce weird faces in pictures are genetic. I still crack up every time I see this picture. She is either really happy, or despoiling nature behind that sign.

Ooo, tiny waterfall

Up in the trees, bridge in the background
I found the boy!!
We hadn't seen the sun in 4 days, so I had become quasi-vampiric and was not sure what to do with this bright stuff cutting through the clouds

Quiet introspection - although I'm probably thinking about something stupid, like what color my socks are.


Map of the whole place

Cliff walk. Duh.
this tiny walkway suspended over the cliff makes you feel one with nature.  Also that you are going to plunge to your death any moment.
This tiny balcony is entirely made of glass, so if you look down you get the feeling of floating in mid-air! Also nausea. Although that could have been from the fear, since Paul tried to throw me off the side 5 seconds before this picture was taken.

Gargoyles? I think? Not sure what is happening here.  As a good friend pointed out, I certainly seem to say that about a lot of the pictures on this trip.
I've been doing this to everyone else, so it's only fair


Again, no idea. Gorillas in the Mist?

A downward view of the cliffwalk

Leaving! And being weird, per usual

Actually entering Vancouver....Paul was hungry.

We found an honest-to God Ramen shop, complete with Asian people!! This is my pleading face.
And this is my insanely happy face

Oh yeah. David is unsuccessfully trying to contain the crazy.

YAYYYYYY


Still scaring the waitstaff, but at least David is amused.


We headed over to the central park of Vancouver.  Too late for the horse-drawn carriage rides, I was sad.

At the harbor


Getting along, for once

Love ALL the nature!!

Looking out over a portion of the park towards the lake.  We all wished we had more time to spend here.
Before we left, Court spent approx 30 minutes searching for, and taking a picture of, a pretty maple leaf. I thought everyone should see this due to the time investment.

After that we left Vancouver to head back to Seattle, but stopped at one last lookout.


Purdy


That's a lot of water

The progression of trying to take a cute pic,  Please remember my knee is still killing me, so any kind of jumping is a risky venture before you judge me.



Maybe the only good one of C & P, to her fury.  All the rest were bombed by David.
This one is my favorite.

We had ice cream. It was exciting

Back in Seattle, this is where we stayed.  I'd recommend it.



At this point we were all standing in the hall, waiting for Court to finish taking pictures for the room, unsullied by all our crap.  I appreciate these now....not so much at the time.

THEY HAVE A SNACK ROOM/LOUNGE AREA. IT WAS GLORIOUS.  Also, this picture makes me look like I have no butt, and now I am concerned that possibly I should no longer wear those jeans.


No comments: