Friday, February 10, 2012

Day 5: In Which It Gets Very Wet and We Scare a Bunch of Europeans


Our first full day in Tofino!  We are not going to let rain get us down!  I, personally, dressed for the day in what was basically a garbage bag with legs and arms. We're talking STYLE, people.
Breakfast was a group affair in the common room - the staff makes huge pots of oatmeal and muffins, and lay out a bunch of toppings to customize it.  It was pretty good, actually.

A large percentage of the people staying here were Europeans. In the late afternoon a gaggle of little old french ladies would gather around the fireplace and speak to each other in rapid-fire french; I loved trying to listen in on their conversations.  David and I sat with a lovely couple from Bulgaria (?) at breakfast, and we had a great time conversing with them, particularly the wife.  Later I heard her speaking with the little old french ladies, and then even later she was translating for an Italian couple who came in. It was crazy. I felt very inadequate, language-wise.

Breakfast Spread

We then proceeded to go to a cafe, Hobbit-like, for second breakfast

Which was a stupid-good chili Paul generously shared

Then, yes, that's right.....THIRD BREAKFAST. Seriously.

mmmm, baked goods

We drove down the coast a little bit to take a look at the visitor's center exhibits and to hike on a trail along the shoreline.

What am I doing here? Being a gangster?  I don't know. That's why I need to not wait 6 months after trips to attempt to remember them.

The trail we took

These mannequins were anatomically correct and possessed extremely small loincloths.....ah, the french.  Or french-like, anyway.

Different tribes form the area, how neat.....wait a minute....

Say what? Ah haha

Court looking along the coastline

What Tofino looks like when it isn't so foggy you can't see past your fingertips...

Add caption
Warning: you might get eaten by a blood-thirsty carnivore

More totem poles - i thought this one was pretty

Looking back at the visitor's center

David in the mist

Tiffany in the trees - attempting to blend in, chameleon-style

one of the beaches


Court, reenacting the sign.  I think I'm rubbing off on her. Love this pic.

Stairs! My nemesis.



Dangerous River Crossing! Ok, not so much.
We found these huge seaweed stalk-things that looked very much like a whip.  Grade-school activities proceeded to follow this discovery, and I may or may not have actually hit myself in the head while trying to be Indiana Jones at one point.

5 seconds later, I clocked myself in the head

I think Paul might have done it too
Whip action!!

Why yes, we are jumping rope

Paul was surprisingly good at this

He almost made it out - you should see the unrestrained glee on my face at the prospect of him falling down.
Here, I'll do it for you.

David got in on the whip action

Yay, me!

This is also greatness, you have to see the evil insanity on David's face...
He looks like a Sith Lord
Everyone else went to go explore a little island of sorts out in the surf, but I had to stay behind due to my knee issues. As the last of them disappeared, I started getting paranoid that, now that I had been separated from the herd, that those wolves and cougars on the warning at the beginning on the trail were congregating to eat me. 

Seriously. 

I must have looked like a crazy person, spastically turning in circles to make sure nothing was sneaking up on me.

They return! Yay!

Looking out across the bay back in town

Sushi for dinner!

We were trying to figure out what we wanted to see the next day - I loved this calendar that showed what was out there. The blue tail is for humpbacks, footprint for bears, W for wolves, and the black fin was if they saw an orca.

After dinner, we decided we wanted to play a game, and proceeded to be loud, noisy Americans (especially my sister and I, who have no shame) much to the embarrassment of the boys and entertainment of the people clustered in the common room.

We actually stopped at a store on the way home and got some cookie dough to bake back at the lodge.  We ate some, but left a plate out for anyone else who wanted some, bc filling the common room with the smell of fresh-baked cookies and not sharing is just mean.

I'm not totally sure what's happening here - maybe others wanted to play Munchkin (which is quieter)? I am certainly looking disgruntled with my little cluster of Cranium boxes.
Apparently my pouting, I mean, Cranium, won out.
In some kind of cosmic mix-up, for the first time in the YEARS we have been playing this game Boys vs. Girls the boys won. What the heck.

Although, there will forever be the epic 'greenhouse' card that Courtney had to act out and and I miraculously got after a few seconds.  Sometimes it really is just not fair for the guys.

The glee and joy of triumph.
Courtney and I went to bed disgusted. And possibly disgruntled.

No comments: