Saturday, February 07, 2009

Dyers, Take Two

WELCOME CORENE!



Because all of our visitors some in sets of two, about a week after Ruthie and Josh left, David's wonderful mother came to visit us. I was so excited that she could make it out.


Corene and Lily, reunited at last


As you might remember, Corene took wonderful care of Lily for 3 months before we moved out here, so she is kind of her dog, too.


So! Her trip. Sadly, Even though it has only been a month, I am already getting fuzzy on what we did and when! So sad. Corene, if you read this, feel free to write me up and tell me how it actually went so that this is actually somewhat representative of your trip.



Day Who Knows: Probably Saturday


I am fairly certain we started this day with a trip to the dog park and some malasadas. Corene OWNED those malasadas. I'm pretty sure she ate around 4, compared to my 1 1/2. It is hard to resist those things the first time you have them. Plus, you have to try all the flavors!




Here is a pretty church right by the dog park. We don't have any other pictures, because a dog park? Really? No one wants to see pictures of that.



Now, one of the best things about Corene, and I came to completely love this, is that she can see the best in everything. Several times, in this case, she could have cared less that the rain was ruining her day, and proceed to have a great time. Even including the day the whole island shut down in response to a huge storm that was moving through. It probably greatly helped me get over my visitors OCD. Maybe.


Ok, probably not. But still.


ANYWAY, because of the rain, I wasn't sure what to do, but I figured it might look cool over at the Byodo Temple, and I was excited, because I was finally getting to go to somewhere new! Yay!






So here it is. Naturally, it was raining, but doesn't it look cool? I almost feel like I'm not in Hawaii.


Here's Corene ringing the giant gong. I am apparently a giant ignoramus hick, and can't remember the significance of this bell, only that 'it shure do sound prettah.' Brother.



I like this picture, because it is just such a Corene moment. She took some great pictures while she was here.


Those people-specks are David and his mom.



I felt very Zen here.




Some fun statues nearby




I love black swans, so when this guy waddled ashore, I just have to go and invade his personal space.

HOLY CRAP, TEXAS BBQ. You can see my face very well, but I'm Excited.


You don't understand how rare this is. Sure, once we were inside the owner at the counter was Japanese, and English was definitely her second language, but she was very nice. And it smelled like real BBQ ,which is a thing I haven't really been around in years. When I come home, I think I'll eat BBQ for a week.


THEN a giant truck pulled into the lot with a Texas Tech sticker, and out poured like 6 guys who looked like they had just been plucked right off campus. It was kind of funny, but totally completed the image.

Also, what is up with us and making our moms eat BBQ when they come to see us? I did this to my mom too, and she was like, 'What the crap. Where's the seafood!?'


To round out our Windward Side day, we took his mom to see the ocean at sunset. So David and I waited above the beach while his mom took some time to herself and wandered around, taking pictures of the water.



and I took pictures of David. What!? He's a good subject. Look at those dimples.






And, apparently at some point, his mom took some pictures of us. Which is great, because we never have picture of the both of us, and I love candid shots.


After this I think we went home and headed over to one of our favorite burger joints, Lulu's, because they have a great view. It was Saturday night, though, and no good tables were to be had. However, they did have an amazing band. So we rocked out to some Hawaiian-style classics.

No comments: