Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Kesteds Kometh



YAY VISITING FAMILY!

David's sister Ruthie and her husband came to visit us over Christmas to save us from yet another sucky holiday where there are no family around. THANK YOU!

Shorts and Christmas trees - we must be in Waikiki

So, after we picked them up from the airport, we proceeded to commence with Tourist Torture, in which I force everyone who visits to stay up until 10 pm to help them with jet lag. After what is usually 12 hours of planes/airports, this does not make me that popular with my friends and family. Luckily, they are all too nice to say what they are really thinking, which must run along the lines of 'TAKE ME TO MY @$#%^ BEDROOM, YOU CLOCK NAZI'.


So, we went out to eat at Yardhouse, where I take everyone, because it is harder to fall asleep when you're in public places. Josh partook of the World's Most Amazing Macaroni and Cheese, which you can try soon because they are building some restaurants in Texas, and OH BOY I AM SO EXCITED.

So you should go.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore, and we let them go to sleep.

Day 2

LEONARD'S!


This is quite possibly the thing I will miss the most if we ever move back. Leonard's Malasadas are like tropical heaven in your mouth. They are Portuguese donuts, and soon after this picture was taken, Josh and Ruthie became addicted.

Also shortly after this picture was taken, I bonked David on the head for messing up a perfectly nice shot with his shenanigans.




So, today we headed over for some hiking on the south side of the island, in Hawaii Kai. It was good times.



I made Josh and Ruthie squat down, which they did even though you can tell they'd rather not. I was kind of annoying with the camera on this trip. Notice how I took pictures right after they got here and were exhausted? The Picture Nazi does not care. Hm, I think I am going overboard with this 'nazi' theme. Meh.

At the top! Kind of cloudy. This will not be the first time the weather mucks up my plans.


Actually, at the top there is a small path that leads to some bunkers even higher up, which we did for the first time this trip. This is actually a cool picture if it was any larger - that's Josh and the bunker on the left.

Ever Vigilant


Josh was having a great time exercising his inner kung fu, but I was such a nervous wreck. It was really windy, and I just knew he was going to blow right off the cliff.


Blow Hole!

Ruthie tried her best to get a good picture, but the sea was not cooperating. You can still see the plume of spray, though.

After hiking, on to Haunama Bay, another must-do. There are several things I do with everyone who comes, bc we have done all kinds of things, and we know it is the best, and I want everyone to see only the best! Sorry, it is probably pretty repetitive for you readers.




The bay. It was still overcast, and not very warm, so I graciously opted to stay on the beach and watch our stuff. I think everyone had a great time looking at the wildlife, but they came out as human popsicles. Brr.

View from our balcony at night



DAY 3


After having water-leakage issues with the snorkel mask the previous day, Josh decided to sacrifice his beard for the cause. Of course, first we shaved fun designs on his face. I like this look - it says 'I may have 3-4 cars in my front lawn, but I still ride my hog to get around'. Love it.



We went over to the windward side, and the weather was with us, for once. Ruthie took this pretty good picture while riding in the backseat. Nice!


The boys played some Frisbee



While Ruthie and I built a friggin awesome sand castle, which is required at this wonderful beach. I had a great time, because we didn't really have a plan, we were just figuring it out as we went.




Of course we brought Lily


Ruthie and Josh made 'Sand Angels', which I thought was hilarious. Ah, winter in Hawaii!

Pali Lookout



Day 4

At this point I had to be lame-o and go to work, as I don't really have any vacation days since so many of you wonderful people have been coming out to visit! It has been such a blessing to us!


So, I'm not really sure what went on for the next few days. Other than I DO know that we tried to poison our guests on this day. Nothing says fun like a trip to the ER.

Anyway, they headed out on the trail, which was exciting, bc David had never made it out on this one. However, as their only source of directions, I was a bit stressed, bc I was sitting in an office, and it is hard to give directions on a trail you aren't on. What and I going to tell them, 'take a left at the tree with the branch thingys'? Um, right. It is possible to end up on the other side of the mountain if you take a wrong turn, so I was at Stress Level Orange. Especially after they were totally lost, trying to get directions from me, and David's phone lost service. It was a tetchy 5 hours.

SO! That's it from my end. But it looked like they had a nice time. Took some great pictures.







I wish you could see this - that's my dog in the bushes and she looks like she's possessed by something.



At the top! I believe it was here that they tried to eat some of our granola bars that apparently tasted like gasoline. That can't be good.


Strawberry guava! They are back in season, and can be a great tasty snack if you get a good one. If you don't, you could end up looking like this:





Ruthie was still not quite on the Hawaii time schedule, so after dinner she went to bed and the boys stayed up late playing the greatest XBOX game ever, Castle Crashers. I freaking love this game. Paul and Courtney, get it so we can play online together!



Anyway, Josh loved it too. We played this several nights while they were here. Awesome. We're dorkifying the world, one person at a time.

1 comment:

Jen Lewis said...

Don't tease me Tiffany... A yardhouse here?!?!?! WOOHOO!!!!